Monday, February 13, 2012

Your Kids Have Autism?...Really?

This question has come up in more than one conversation recently, so maybe it's time to chat about it.  When you look at our two little ones, at first encounter, one doesn't think they have observed anything out of the ordinary. They say, "oh, I just thought they were shy (or bad mannered, if they're having a bad day or hour or minute, what have you).  I have gotten into unexpected verbal altercations with other moms at the park or in the supermarket (more on that 'episode' later...ha!), because of this misjudgement by the public, at large.  This is probably much more difficult to navigate, as a mother dealing with public interaction with our children, then say, a child that is clearly disabled, what have you, all because, we, as humans, go on 'first impressions'.  When we don't visually see anything that shows a child is 'special needs', then we just assume that the parents have not taught the child manners or something of that nature. It's up to us, as a society to be open, and tolerant to all situations, especially in children.  I have embraced the misconceptions, by others, and it's my job to share, to relate, to educate and pass on what I have learned myself.  It's a big job, and I take it fully to heart, because I never know what I have opened up my heart to share, will have an impact on someone in the future, that I may never meet.


No comments:

Post a Comment